Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Ear Ornamentation of an Electrified Sort...

Well hello again everyone!

It's been an insanely busy few days for me, hence the recent dearth of posts. I've been busy redressing the balance of wearable winter clothing, by acquiring a new coat (black, ankle length and pleasingly swishable), new shoes, and a delightful ruby-red hat and scarf ensemble to fight off the winter blizzards, should they materialize.

The days have not been completely without Steam however.

A few months ago I bought a pair of vintage gold clip-on earrings in a little antique shop for the bargain price of £2. I didn't particularly like them as they were, but they vaguely reminded me of that quintessentially Victorian invention, the Wimshurst machine. For a while I didn't know quite what to do with them, so they languished in a drawer until some random fragment of inspiration eventually struck me a few days ago. Following on with the sparky, electrical theme I decided to add a couple of Tesla-esque copper wire coils to either side. And here's the result:


I deliberately went for a slightly haywire, mad-inventor vibe by making the coils a little irregular, which also helps to stop the earrings from looking too manufactured and 'shop-bought'. I've noticed that the copper wire has already lost the extremely high shine it first had when straight out of the packet, and has now acquired a soft patina, giving the earrings a wonderful aged appearance that I couldn't be happier with. Hopefully they'll continue to age as I wear them, though I do hope they don't develop verdigris as I like the contrast between the gold and the copper.

Modifying the earrings didn't take me very long (I'd say about an hour, all told), and aside from the £2 price of the earrings, cost only the £1-ish for the copper wire (of which I still have a great deal left) and a ball point pen which I sacrificed for the inner cartridge, in order to wrap the wire around to create the coils. So there we are, an electrified pair of Steampunk earrings for less than a fiver!

But of course, with every great thing there comes a sacrifice...
So alas, poor Biro, I knew him well... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment